So you want to start running...

I can't count the amount of times people have either said- you're mad running all the time, or, I wish I could just run, but it hurts soooooo much! My stock answer is, I might be a little mad, but believe it or not, I actually ENJOY running! Why else would I do it? The answer to the second statement is, yes, it hurts a little at first, but stick with it and you won't regret it!

These top tipwill help getting into running that bit easier!

1). Little and Often. I remember the days when I was a little fat pudding. Having been fit at school, I decided enough was enough. I strapped my trainers on, drew a line under my old ways, and headed out into the freezing cold night. I'll never forget that day as long as I live. I was determined to do this properly, so at first I simply went round the block. I hadn't gone far, but the feeling of achievement was incredible. The next day I went slightly further, then slightly further again. Sure enough, with a gradual build up, the weight fell off, and soon enough, I found myself at the start line of the 2005 Sheffield Half Marathon.

                                  

2). Get The Right Apparel. The reason for this point is two fold. Firstly, you want to look the part, and these days you can buy the full apparel for next to nothing from your local sports superstore. Secondly, you want to take this seriously, and getting the correct kit will get you into the right mindset- after all you are far less likely to give in if you have spent your hard earned money on running kit!

3). Appreciate that the First Few Runs WILL hurt! There is no getting away from this fact- but BE TOUGH- it will not last forever. At the end of my first run I came back with all manner of disgusting liquids pouring from my nose, my legs were aching and my lungs were screaming! However, after the first few runs you really will notice a difference in your fitness and tolerance of pain. After a fortnight of regular running you will be able to run and be in control of your breathing, and your muscles will finally accept that there is no getting away from this new lifestyle!

                                                

4). Find a Running Friend Who is Better Than You. After a few weeks, you will be running a reasonable distance without too much pain, and you may have noticed a change in body shape. To gain a foothold to the next level, find a friend who runs (there are plenty about!). Runners tend to be very accommodating people and will probably jump at the chance for some company. Their higher training capability will drag you up to the next level; plus they will invariably offer valuable training advice, and they will be as into running as you are, so you will both be 'like-minded'. 

                                                  

5). Enter A ParkRun. After approximately 6 weeks you will definitely notice a change in body shape and capability. If you are looking for the next challenge why not enter a race? The perfect starting point would be a ParkRun. These events are very inclusive, not too competitive, and best of all, they are free! If you go to parkrun.us (USA version), sign up, find your local race (loads across America every week!), print your bar code and race away!

Most importantly- have fun and enjoy running, because that's what it's all about! Remember, no matter how good somebody is, they have all had a 'first run', so get out there are enjoy it!

  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My FOOD HELL!!!

Weekly Progress Check: I Lost 4 Pounds!

Weekly Weight Loss Progress Check- I LOST 2 POUNDS!